One GRITS Journey To Convert Beloved Southern Recipes to Paleo Approved, and Darn GOOD too!

This is my story of how I am striving to change my family's life, nutritionally, for the better. Here in the deep South Keto is just now becoming more known.
After reading Gary Taubes enlightning GOOD CALORIES, BAD CALORIES I was determine to change! Armed with my own two hands, the internet (thank God for AMAZON.com), and all those wonderful blogs and podcasts available now, I am beginning my journey.
Please feel free to join me as I try to adapt all of our Southern Favorites into Gluten Free and Keto Appropriate Scrumptiousness!!! I will try to post all of the good ones, and may even blog about some failures along the way.

29 January 2012

SCOTCH EGGS-( this may be the greatest thing since sliced bread)




and since we can't eat sliced bread on a Paleo diet ....well its just the best thing ever!!!!!
I am sure many of you are aware of what Scotch Eggs are-they are famous from High Tea with The Queen of England back in the day aparently!- I am just discovering them!!!!!
I first saw them on a some sight recently, for the life of me I cannot remember which one....and then they appeared in Well Fed, my new fav cookbook infatuation.....
I took this as a sign, I must make them NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't follow each recipe exactly, but the method-well that is the same anywhere you look......
SCOTCH EGGS
12 hard boiled eggs
Ground Sausage ( or ground pork that you season as you wish)

First, hardboil your eggs.....
HOW TO HARD BOIL THE PERFECT EGG.... (this I have been doing for years, trust me!)
- place eggs in a pan, cover with cold water
-bring water to a boil on the stove and then cover the pot and take it off the burner.
-wait 10 minutes and then place the eggs in a bowl of ice water to cool them off quickly, then place in the fridge to get completely cold
- now you can peel them as us as you wish--- 
(if you do not place in in cold water when you take them out but let them sit for 20-30 min instead before placing them in fridge the inside will cook a tad bit more, the cold water will give you a perfect yolk!!!!!)
NEXT-
-Get your sausage (either preseasoned or seasoned as you see fit-whatever flavors you feel like at the moment) and Make 12 even sized balls.
- Now flatten a patty and wrap it around an egg. Place on a cookie sheet. ( just keep kneading it and you will soon have the egg completely covered, I promise!)
( a trick I learned from WELL FED, for something extra coat in PORK RIND crumbs before baking-with a thin layer... if you want a thick layer go one more step and roll in beaten egg and then again in pork rind crumbs before baking)
-I used CAW CAW PORK ground sausage....- I buy mine at the ALL LOCAL FARMERS MARKET
THEY WERE HEAVENLY!!!!! I mean seriously, how were these not a Southern FOOD? British?????? Really??????
Well, either way I will take it. I will be making these OFTEN from now on!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'll never forget: you were the one who taught me to hard-boil the perfect egg at your parents' house! :)

    ReplyDelete

Print Friendly