One GRITS Journey To Convert Beloved Southern Recipes to Paleo Approved, and Darn GOOD too!

This is my story of how I am striving to change my family's life, nutritionally, for the better. Here in the deep South Keto is just now becoming more known.
After reading Gary Taubes enlightning GOOD CALORIES, BAD CALORIES I was determine to change! Armed with my own two hands, the internet (thank God for AMAZON.com), and all those wonderful blogs and podcasts available now, I am beginning my journey.
Please feel free to join me as I try to adapt all of our Southern Favorites into Gluten Free and Keto Appropriate Scrumptiousness!!! I will try to post all of the good ones, and may even blog about some failures along the way.

01 February 2012

The Trick to making a MAYONAISE that works EVERY TIME!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!

As you know most oils are bad for us... and most mayo is made with canola or vegetable oils....Way high in Omega 6 and that is not good for our bodies...
So for the last year I have been trying to make mayo at home, with totally mixed success. One time its perfect, the next it never thickens up..... WHY????? I tried different recipes, different people gave me tricks.....Nothing worked consistently for me....
Until This WEEK!!!!!!!!  A BREAKTHROUGH, that is so simple I am crazy to not have figured this out....
My new fav cookbook I have been obsessing over, WELL FED, had a recipe for Olive Oil Mayonnaise.... very similar to what I had been doing, but with one key difference....
She says to place your egg and your acid ( she uses lemon juice, I used red wine vinegar) in the blender, or food processor and let them sit for 30 min to 2 hours before you attempt to start your Mayo.

So here is my recipe that I always use:

  MAYONNAISE--

1 egg
2 T acid ( I use either red wine vinegar or lemon juice)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground mustard ( I often leave this out)
1/4 cup LIGHT olive oil plus 1 cup more ( or avocado oil)
Place the egg and the vinegar in the bottom of your bowl and let it sit for atleast 30 min, I have found an hour to work well.
  • hint: food processor makes a thinner mayo, blender makes it more whipped and fluffy
  • you can also do this by hand, just keep whipping whipping whipping with your whisk- a good workout!! . Turn on and mix egg/vinegar well.
Add Salt, mix well.
Add 1/4 cup olive oil and mix till combined well.
Now drizzle the remaining cup of olive oil in VERY VERY VERY slowly until you see it start to thicken, then you can add a tad faster.... Its possible you won't need the whole cup, but I have found I usually need it all. It will get nice and thick....
  • It will thicken up more in the fridge
  • also you can add whatever spices or herbs you want to change the flavor up....
  • its also a good base for homeade creamy salad dressings
  • this stays wells for a few days in the fridge, if you want to make it last longer add some whey (like 1 T) and blend it in well. (Whey is fermented and it will prolong the time that it lasts in your fridge)

1 comment:

Print Friendly