One GRITS Journey To Convert Beloved Southern Recipes to Paleo Approved, and Darn GOOD too!

This is my story of how I am striving to change my family's life, nutritionally, for the better. Here in the deep South Keto is just now becoming more known.
After reading Gary Taubes enlightning GOOD CALORIES, BAD CALORIES I was determine to change! Armed with my own two hands, the internet (thank God for AMAZON.com), and all those wonderful blogs and podcasts available now, I am beginning my journey.
Please feel free to join me as I try to adapt all of our Southern Favorites into Gluten Free and Keto Appropriate Scrumptiousness!!! I will try to post all of the good ones, and may even blog about some failures along the way.

22 September 2011

So Simple New Chicken Bake Recipe....

Of course I forgot to take a pic of it in the big beautiful Red Casserole dish..... But trust me, both colorful and hearty too!
(this is really a version of something I have made before, but I think my seasoning was different...anyways, this one was great)

Chicken and Tomato Bake
( if you are hard core Paleo I suggest switching the rice with veggies that will roast well, like a mix of broccoli and cauliflower florets- its great that way too)
1 Whole Fryer Chicken, cut into pieces
Poultry Seasoning, Salt, Pepper, Sage- season liberally- massage it into the chicken!!!
1 Large Can (I buy the boxed kind to avoid the aluminum/BPA usually, thats when I have run out of               own   canned tomatoes-thats the best!!!!!)
2 cups White Dry Rice ( soaked overnight hopefully????)

Cook Rice According to Directions, using tomato juice from the can and water, I also threw some Italian spices in the water, along with salt of course. The trick is to stop the rice half way through its cooking.

Pour Rice Mixture into Large Casserole Dish that has been buttered. Place Chicken Pieces in the pan nestled in the still somewhat liqudy rice mixture.

Cook in a preheated 350 oven for approx 45 (or until the internal temp reaches atleast 160degrees)

Serve.... I served with a side of mixed steamed veggies with butter.
This came out soooo well!!! The skin on the chicken was browned and beautifully Crispy, and the flavor of it all melded together was so nice.
The kids gave this one a big thumb up! That means make it again soon in Yaman Kid Language!


since it had rice, I just had a small helping of rice along with a big breast of chicken and veggies.
Next time I may just mix the fresh veggies in with the chicken and tomatoes and do the same thing, just minus the rice????

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly