One GRITS Journey To Convert Beloved Southern Recipes to Paleo Approved, and Darn GOOD too!

This is my story of how I am striving to change my family's life, nutritionally, for the better. Here in the deep South Keto is just now becoming more known.
After reading Gary Taubes enlightning GOOD CALORIES, BAD CALORIES I was determine to change! Armed with my own two hands, the internet (thank God for AMAZON.com), and all those wonderful blogs and podcasts available now, I am beginning my journey.
Please feel free to join me as I try to adapt all of our Southern Favorites into Gluten Free and Keto Appropriate Scrumptiousness!!! I will try to post all of the good ones, and may even blog about some failures along the way.

04 March 2012

Where is the Middle Ground????


Why is eating healthfully so very hard??
I feel like I have worked very hard to cut out the bad, to go to eating pretty much only foods that are not processed. But there are so many pressures, holidays, birthdays, and more. I mean we celebrate everything with food, every holiday calls for sugar.
I don’t want to be the mom that says NO all the time. I also don’t want to be the mom that caters to every whim of my children. I am not the mom who is going to find out what dessert will be served at every single occasion at school and replicate it as exactly as possible.I need to find a MIDDLE. I have to say I am still really struggling.

 It is so very frustrating because I KNOW the nutrition.
 I KNOW what is the best choices. I KNOW HOW to make them…
But somehow when it comes to me, to my family, I keep letting in things that are not good for us.

Where is the MIDDLE?


Where I make my family happy, where they don’t feel neglected or that  they are missing out, but they also are eating clean, sugar free, gluten free??
This commercial driven, “ME” driven culture sucks me in, even as I feel like I am fighting it.I surveyed my house today—yes I have grass fed meats, yes I have homemade stock, yes lots of veggies.
 Check, Check, Check
But then there is the Gluten Free Pasta, the Splenda, the diet pepsi, the kind bars, the gluten free chex mix I make the kids so they “fit in”. My family can eat all of this and still appear to be perfectly healthy, but are they really??? 
What are the long term effects???

 And then there is ME…. I cannot eat this way. My body soaks up  each and every processed carb and turns it to FAT… I am not healthy. I  am not fit, I eat things I should not, I am not setting the example that I truly want to for my kids.

WHERE is the middle ground? I really need to figure this one out.
I KNOW what to do, so why is it so HARD?

I can teach nutrition, I can answer so many questions, I can tell YOU what to do,how to change your diet, what might be causing what symptoms….
So why can I not do it for myself??? I must. I will.
 I am going back to my bone broth and probiotics for a couple of days, or a week  maybe… I am not buying any more of the junk. I just won’t do it.
p.s.
I do not feel like the kids can never eat sugar. I truly believe in the 80/20 thing. If we eat well at home, then a few treats elsewhere is fine for them....
It just seems those "special" occasions sneak in SO OFTEN.......


No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly