One GRITS Journey To Convert Beloved Southern Recipes to Paleo Approved, and Darn GOOD too!

This is my story of how I am striving to change my family's life, nutritionally, for the better. Here in the deep South Keto is just now becoming more known.
After reading Gary Taubes enlightning GOOD CALORIES, BAD CALORIES I was determine to change! Armed with my own two hands, the internet (thank God for AMAZON.com), and all those wonderful blogs and podcasts available now, I am beginning my journey.
Please feel free to join me as I try to adapt all of our Southern Favorites into Gluten Free and Keto Appropriate Scrumptiousness!!! I will try to post all of the good ones, and may even blog about some failures along the way.

29 October 2012

Lip Smakin Good Asian Chicken Wings

This is one my family could not stop raving about. They ate them all up,  lip smakin the whole time!!!- wish I had a video of the kiddos!
So I thought I should get it written down before I forget what I did, and what I used so that I can duplicate these babies!!
These got a full thumbs up from ALL THREE KIDDOS and the HUBBIE! 
WOOT!! WOOT!!
 Asian Chicken Wings
3-4 lbs chicken wings
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce, or coconut aminos for those that don't do soy...
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1tsp ginger, ground
2 tsp 5 spice
 Mix marinade/sauce up and toss wings. Leave to sit in marinade at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees .
Line Baking sheets with aluminum foil and spread wings out, coating each with the sauce before you lay them out.
Toss in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Open oven and turn wings over so other side can brown, turn oven up to 425 degrees. Coat wings again with marinade and let them go for 10 minutes.
At this point turn them over again and begin basting with sauce every 5 min or so for 20 minutes or so... if they are getting too brown to fast you can turn down to 400... They are done when wings are all sticky and coated and browned to glorious perfection... 
  • TOTAL TIME- 1hour to 11/2 hours depending on how big your wings are, if you have really large wings I suggest making this initial time longer rather than the basting time!!
  • these do best in middle oven rack, if you have to do top and bottom rackes make sure you rotate the wings... I did in two ovens as I have a double oven...
And then they were gone....
Next time I may put some sesame seeds on them at the end....that would be pretty and yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly