One GRITS Journey To Convert Beloved Southern Recipes to Paleo Approved, and Darn GOOD too!

This is my story of how I am striving to change my family's life, nutritionally, for the better. Here in the deep South Keto is just now becoming more known.
After reading Gary Taubes enlightning GOOD CALORIES, BAD CALORIES I was determine to change! Armed with my own two hands, the internet (thank God for AMAZON.com), and all those wonderful blogs and podcasts available now, I am beginning my journey.
Please feel free to join me as I try to adapt all of our Southern Favorites into Gluten Free and Keto Appropriate Scrumptiousness!!! I will try to post all of the good ones, and may even blog about some failures along the way.

27 February 2013

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR this ROCKS--Cheesy Cauliflower Garlic "Bread"

Good Gravy---SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!!!
We experienced a first tonight. Tonight I made spaghetti with meat sauce, a fav around here- but guess what? Something miraculous happened.
 My children, yes every one of them, ate more cauliflower than they did pasta tonight. I mean an ENTIRE head of cauliflower downed- I mean they were asking for seconds and thirds before they even ate 2 bites of spaghetti. I have leftover pasta and ZERO leftover cauliflower.
On cheesy bread number 3- look how much pasta he still has!!!!!


 Thus, I am calling this Shut the Front Door cheesy bread- because good gravy my jaw is still on the floor ya'll!
Don't get me wrong, my kids eat veggies. They eat veggies every single day. But they do not usually eat them over the "entree". They do not leave pasta marinara on the plate and go for thirds of any veggie... They just don't. So I am a proud Mama today. I am a happy girl and yes I will make this OFTEN!!!!! I am going to write this recipe down RIGHT NOW, before I forget what I did.
drumroll please..........here is the recipe=
Shut the Front DOOR!!!! Cheesy Cauliflower Garlic "Bread"
1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used mix of mozz and parmesan)
1/4 cup cheese for topping
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp dry italian seasoning
pinch garlic salt
 (set oven to 425degrees F)
1. Steam Cauliflower till fork tender. (or you could boil it I guess)
2. Process cauliflower through a food mill on largest grid, or mash well with a potato masher.
3. Add all ingredients together and mix well with a fork (reserving last 1/4 cup cheese for topping)
4. Spread mixture thinly and evenly onto a parchment lined baking sheet.Sprinkle with remaining cheese. 5.Place in oven at 425degrees F and bake for 10-15 min, till getting brownish. 
optional step----at the end switch to broil and broil for a few minutes till it is totally brownish and crisp.- I did this to make it crisper so that it would hold together when picked up, just like garlic bread!!!!!
(if you do this WATCH CLOSELY as it goes FAST)
 -just a side note-you could use some roasted garlic in place of garlic salt if you have any on hand from another recipe!!!!!!

I hope ya'll enjoy this! I can't wait to make it again!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly