One GRITS Journey To Convert Beloved Southern Recipes to Paleo Approved, and Darn GOOD too!

This is my story of how I am striving to change my family's life, nutritionally, for the better. Here in the deep South Keto is just now becoming more known.
After reading Gary Taubes enlightning GOOD CALORIES, BAD CALORIES I was determine to change! Armed with my own two hands, the internet (thank God for AMAZON.com), and all those wonderful blogs and podcasts available now, I am beginning my journey.
Please feel free to join me as I try to adapt all of our Southern Favorites into Gluten Free and Keto Appropriate Scrumptiousness!!! I will try to post all of the good ones, and may even blog about some failures along the way.

13 August 2013

Pancake Pizzas- A mistake turned AWESOME.

So today I started out to try something new that I saw on Pintrest- Crock Pot Pizza-
 ( In case you wanna know-you make pizza dough, cover bottom of crock pot with some sauce, put in the pizza dough, top with sauce and toppings including cheese-2hrs on high) I am always looking for fast, or crockpot meals with soccer being so early and taking up all evenings...
BUT...I mixed up my dough recipe with a pancake recipe..basically I started out with a pizza recipe on the side of the box and midway through started reading from the pancake recipe....AAAAAHHHH, my brain these days.
GLUTEN FREE FLOUR is precious and pricey--so I had to save this right?
 So there was already garlic seasoning and oregano in it, and it was thinish...it had milk instead of water, and too much of it...wrong amount of eggs... UGGGHHH. 
So I said to myself, SELF-what could I do with this mess????
 Pancake PIZZAS???- I started to get excited!!!!!!
But who knew if the MESS in my mixer would do anything. So I heated up the griddle to sizzling hot, liberally spread olive oil, and poured some of my mess , I mean dough right on it. AND GUESS WHAT???? drumbroll please........
IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have invented Pancake PIZZAS!! (I think? has anyone seen it before?)
So here is the recipe if anyone is intrigued- super easy and fast dinner!:
Jack shoving it down happily!

PANCAKE PIZZAS
1 package Gluten Free Biquick

1/2 tsp italian seasoning (i used just oregono, all I had)
1/2 tsp garlic salt
2 cups milk
4 tbsp oil
2 eggs
1/3 cup water
pizza sauce
Toppings-whatever you want
Mozzerella Cheese
 1. Mix all ingredients through water in stand mixer till very well mixed.(or by hand if you must)
2. Heat up your griddle, (or whaever you make pancakes on) to a bit hotter than you would do pancakes, I set my gas burners to medium-high
.-----HINT: DO A TESTER MINI FIRST TO SEE IF YOU HAVE HEAT RIGHT-------
3. Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup scoop dough out on to griddle, and spread it around a bit- you don't want it too thin, but evenish. Let it go till its all bubbled and has risen a bit, and edged are dry. Flip over with large spatula and brown lightly on other side

 (AT THIS POINT YOU COULD MAKE A BUNCH AND FREEZE, EACH BETWEEN LAYER OF PARCHMENT AND THEN WRAPPED WELL)
--Either way, cool them off on cookie sheets.

5. Turn oven broiler on,(After cooled-or pulled out of fridg or freezeer if you make ahead), gather your pizza toppings-set up assembly line style, and let the kids make pizzas--
6.Place under broiler till cheese is melty!

I hope everyone tries it! Super easy and KIDS went crazy for it- any idea with PIZZA in the title right???
-next time I may put some cheese in the batter???
**********good way to sneak veggies in!!!!********* 
ProcessTomato Sauce with frozen spinach in food processor, and this is the sauce!!!
- Toppings can include veggies too- any veggie with cheese right??????=)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly